In the Early 1920’s the gospel was being preached in the neighboring community of San Juan. Among the believers there was a man by the name of Jesus Cortez. He and other believers had been sharing their faith with friends and relatives. When Cayetano Morales heard that they prayed for the sick and believed God for healing, he asked that brother Cortez come to his home to pray for his wife. The doctors had not been able to do anything to heal Francisca Morales and she did not have any more money. She had run out of options and her family was in great distress. After Brother Cortez Prayed for her she was miraculously healed. That day, she and several family members accepted the Lord as their Savior. The Morales family and others continued to open their homes for the preaching of the Word of GOD.
Soon after, Nestor Garza began to testify in the streets of Pharr. He and an evangelist by the name of Felix Flores would evangelize with a truck that came to be called “the evangelical truck”. They ministered this way approximately the next three years. About 1930, a small group of believers, the first members of Templo Bethel, bought a one-room house at 200 East Clark Street in Pharr. The congregation had such increase in the number of the people that were gathering each week to worship that they saw a need to acquire more property. In the 1950 they purchased the property on 325 East Bell Avenue. The one-room building was relocated to the property on Bell Avenue and continued to serve as their house of worship until a sanctuary was constructed in 1964. As the congregation continued to grow, more space was needed and in 1969 an annex was added to provide classrooms and offices. With this new space available, they felt the need to prepare lay workers for the church leadership and other ministry. Therefore, in1975 Bethel Bible Institute was founded and since then, has been preparing and sending laborers that are now serving as pastors, teachers, evangelists, andmissionaries in the U.S and in foreign lands.
In July 1980, the property on the corner of “I” Road and Kelly became the site for our present location. We acquired the adjoining ten acres in January 2001 and have plans for future growth. This congregation has had the privilege of having many pastors of the great renown that have led Templo Bethel to enjoy many great moments. Currently, Rev. Rick Reyes is diligently pastoring the congregation and his vision will continue to add to the pages of the history of this wonderful congregation in the city of Pharr and the surroundings communities.